1 Cup Pomi chopped tomatoes
Pomì chopped tomatoes have a single ingredient: fresh tomatoes ripened under the sun, cut in delicious chunks and packaged on location to bring to the table an inimitable taste. An excellent ingredient to exalt the taste of Pasta Sauces and many simply recipes. Chopped tomatoes are perfect for recipes that call for diced tomatos! Store up to 5days in the fridge after opening How is it made? The tomatoes are washed, peeled, chopped and mixed with a lightly concentrated tomato juice. The product is then thermally pasteurized and aseptically filled in our signature carton boxes. The product is exclusively made of Italian tomatoes from our farmers. Chopped tomatoes contain visible seeds and peels.
Ingredients for 2-4
|Chopped Tomatoes 26.6oz||1 Cup Pomi chopped tomatoes|
|chopped parsley||2 tablespoons|
|clove garlic, put through garlic press||1|
|cooked white or brown rice, kept warm||2 cups|
|dried oregano||1/2 teaspoon|
|dried thyme||1/2 teaspoon|
|grapeseed oil||2 tablespoons|
|large onions, chopped fine||2|
|medium shrimp, peeled and deveined; shells rinsed and reserved||1 pound|
|Pomi chopped tomatoes||1 cup|
|salt and pepper to taste and as described in the recipe||1 pinch|
|smoked paprika||1/2 teaspoon|
|stalks celery, chopped fine||2|
|Tabasco sauce to taste, and to be used as a condiment||5 dashes|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 tablespoon|
This may be the perfect weeknight gumbo especially on the smowy ones!
- First make a roux. In a large cast iron dutch oven, heat the grapeseed oil over medium-low heat. Sprinkle flour over the oil and stir till it's completely blended. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, over medium low heat, until the flour-oil mixture browns and is dark caramel-colored. (Be careful not to let it burn.)
- Stir in the onions, celery, and garlic. Sprinkle in 1/4 teaspoon of salt and a few turns of freshly-ground pepper. Stir well. Cover dutch oven and let vegetables cook in roux until softened.
- While vegetables are cooking, put shrimp shells into a saucepan and cover with 2 cups of water and good pinch of salt. (Shrimp shells should be barely covered; add more water if they're not.) Bring water to a boil and then reduce heat so that it simmers. Continue to simmer until shells are bright pink.
- To the vegetables in the dutch oven, add the tomatoes, thyme, oregano, paprika, cayenne, lemon, and Worcestershire sauce. Strain the shrimp stock into the soup, stir, and let simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the shrimp and let simmer in the soup till just firm and cooked through, about 3-5 minutes, depending on size. Taste and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Stir in chopped parsley, a couple of drops of Tabasco (a little goes a long way!) and serve in bowls with a large scoop of rice.