Preparation time: 70 min
Doses (6 to 8)
- Basil pesto To taste
- Carrots 2 cups (about 2 large), cut into 1-inch pieces
- Celery 1 cup (about 2 stalks including leaves)
- Chopped fresh basil 1/3 cup
- Chopped fresh parsley leaves 1/3 Cup
- Cooked or canned Borlotti beans 2 cups
- Dried oregano 1 teaspoon
- Finely chopped Swiss chard 4 cups
- Garlic cloves 3 large, minced
- Grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese To taste
- Green beans cut into 1-inch pieces 2 cups
- Grilled slices of crusty Italian bread To taste
- Olive oil 1/3 cup
- Onions 2 medium, finely chopped
- Salt & pepper To taste
- Small zucchini 5 to 6 (about 4 cups), cut into 1-inch pieces
- Vegetable or chicken broth 8 cups
For this recipe we used:
Strained tomatoes food service
In a large stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the onions, carrots, and celery, and cook for 7 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another minute or two until fragrant. Next, add the green beans and zucchini to the pot and stir to mix.
Add the Pomi Chopped Tomatoes along with the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, and add the oregano, basil, parsley, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
Add the Swiss chard and beans to the soup, and continue to cook for another 10 minutes or until the chard is wilted and soft. Add additional broth or water if the soup seems too thick. Taste, and adjust seasonings as needed.
Place slices of grilled Italian bread into individual bowls, and serve the soup just barely warm or at room temperature ladled over the bread. Top with a spoonful of pesto and some freshly grated cheese.
Recipe by Deborah Mele of ItalianFoodForever.com