Fresh, creamy and thick: the original taste of a great classic always ready to be used. Strained Tomato Sauce is one of the most used ingredients in cooking because it is easy and fast, ideal to prepare any type of dish: meat, eggs, pasta, creams and creamy soups. Strained tomatoes are perfect for recipes that call for pureed tomatos! Store up to 5 days in the fridge after opening How is it made? Tomatoes are washed and crushed. They go through a refinement process that includes sieves to eliminate seeds and peels. The product is then mixed with tomato juice and lightly concentrated. The final product is thermally pasteurized and aseptically filled in our signature carton boxes. Product is exclusively made of Italian tomatoes and does not contain seeds and peels, although we cannot completely exclude possible residue.
Ingredients for 4 to 6 people
|Strained Tomatoes 26.6oz||2 cups|
|Dried oregano||1 tsp|
|Extra virgin olive oil||2 tbsp|
|Fresh parsley||for garnish|
|Garlic cloves||6 peeled and chopped|
|Green bell pepper||1 cored and sliced into thin rounds|
|Ground cumin||1 tsp|
|Red skin potatoes||1.5 lb, sliced into ¼-inch rounds (use mandoline slicer if possible)|
|Salt and pepper||to taste|
|Sliced yellow onions||1 cup|
|Water (or low-sodium vegetable broth)||1 cup|
Hearty, Mediterranean-style potatoes in tomato sauce casserole with onions and green peppers, baked with garlic. You’ll love the flavors in this simple dish!
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a saucepan, heat extra virgin olive oil over medium heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add garlic, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds until fragrant (do not brown garlic).
3. Add Pomì Strained Tomatoes and water. Season with salt, pepper, oregano and cumin. Bring sauce to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Arrange potatoes, green peppers, and onions on the bottom of 9 ½ x 13 casserole dish. Season well with salt and pepper.
5. When sauce is ready, pour it evenly over the potato casserole. Cover and bake for 20 minutes, then uncover and return to oven to bake another 20 minutes (total of 40 minutes) until potatoes are fully cooked and tender. Remove from oven and garnish with fresh parsley.
6. Serve the potatoes in tomato sauce hot as a side dish or a vegetarian entrée with your favorite grain or crusty bread.
Recipe by Suzy Karadsheh of TheMediterraneanDish.com